Foxy is on day four. Monday the vet told us she would probably only last 24- 48
hours. We did call the vet back and they ordered dexamethazone for her. We also
got oxygen for her to keep her comfortable. The vet said that her blood was not
reproducing red blood cells at all . They did test for the hemobartinello and
it was negative. Foxy did eat a little bit of food mixed with vitamins (from a
syringe)  and we have been giving her water from a syringe.
When they say that there is no way for the red blood cells to reproduce at this
pint if they are not making any new blood cells- is this true. Foxy is such a
little fighter and I want to do what I can for her but I do not want her  to
suffer. She is very weak now and has difficulty walking. We decided to not pts
but let her be home in her own environment she she was doing okay. I hope we
made the right decision. I am sure we will be up throught the night. I looked
through the archives and got some helpful  tips on keeping her comfortable.. If
anyone has any other thoughts please respond. Oh- the vet did call another vet
in Tampa and they conquered regarding Foxys condition and that she probably
wouldnt survive the transfusion and if she did it would only give her a couple
of weeks at the most.    Kathy
Belinda Sauro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Sally,
If it is al all possible find another vet who is more knowledgable in
treating FeLV this vet is pretty clueless. An HCT of 10 is when a
transfusion would be seriously considered not ruled out, that alone
tells me this vet doesn't have the knowledge to help you.

Bailey started with an HCT of 20% at which point we ordered the epogen,
by the time I got it his HCT had gone down to 18%, after two weeks of
being on the epogen it was at 15%, it often takes epogen 3 weeks or even
longer to kick in. By week 3 his HCT was back up to 18% and went up
from there. When he passed of pancreatic cancer his HCT was a very
healthy 33%, so he never became anemic after that. The prednisolone may
help but in order to build new red cells she needs vitb, iron and folic
acid, all are needed to build new red cells. Nutrived ahs all 3 and is
fairly cheap, you can order it here:

http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=33

I order it for Fred my CRF furkid. I have not found it cheaper anywhere
else.

How is the baby today?

--

Belinda