Kelley, spaying is part of the contract.  That is why I would speak with the 
foster mom first if I had any misgivings about doing it.  This agency doesn't 
give the cats up for adoption without neutering but an exception was made here 
because supposedly I'm a responsible enough person to carry through with the 
procedure.  That and the fact that I bugged the hell out of them for her.  

I've decided that I am going to cancel the surgery for tomorrow and instead set 
up an appointment for Snowy to meet this vet and have a complete physical 
including blood work etc.  I do worry about her breathing.  When she plays for 
a long time she pants, tongue hanging out just like a dog.  Her nose is so tiny 
you can hardly find it.  I will ask about intubating her.  She hasn't had any 
herpes outbreak since we've had her.  She eats well, plays hard and loves life. 
 She hasn't met our regular vet.  She had the emergency surgery on her paw 
through an after hours clinic.  I think our regular vet who cared for BooBoo 
would not take any kind of risk with her knowing what we and he went through 
trying to save Boo.  Still I'm scared.  If this is to be done, I would like it 
done within the next week as I'm on vacation and would want to be here with her 
during her recovery.  

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Kelley Saveika 
  Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:19 PM
  Subject: Re: spaying

  Hi Lynne,

  I would check the contract you have with the agency from which you adopted 
her.  It is likely the adoption is conditional on you getting her spayed - this 
is why we do not adopt out unspayed animals btw.

  Unless there is some severe underlying health issue, which the vet should 
have advised you of, it is always healthier for the cat to be altered.  It 
reduces or eliminates the chances of certain types of cancer, it eliminates the 
chance of unplanned pregnancies, etc.

  On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Lynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    Here I go again, waffling about neutering my cat.  I need some honest 
advice here.  Don't just tell me what I want to hear but what I must hear.

    I haven't owned too many cats in my life, 3 to be exact because they all 
lived very long lives.  Then came BooBoo and all the tragedy associated with 
Feline leukemia, FIP etc.  I still say I shouldn't have neutered him (age 5) 
and that stress contributed to his very quick demise.  My other cats have 
always been neutered before we got them (from the humane society.)  Now we have 
Snowy, the 3 and a half year old rescued cat who was very ill with feline 
herpes virus.  It caused some scarring in one eye and apparently it took 2 
months in a foster home to get her eyes and respiratory tract infection 
treated.  She is seemingly very healthy, the vet says she has a strong heart.  
What I did learn about her though was that she did have a litter of kittens at 
one point and they all died.  I have read that it can be complicated to spay a 
cat that has had a litter and that is why it is best to do it at a young age.  
I have her scheduled to go in this Tuesday and I'm petrified.  I would 
absolutely die if something were to happen to her.  I worry about the stress 
and her history of Herpes virus.  She's such a happy and loving little girl but 
becomes very aggitated over having her eyes cleaned daily and being brushed, 
necessary things for a persian.  When we got her about two weeks later we 
discovered she had a very horrible ingrown nail and took her to the emergency 
vet to have it surgically removed.  It was a horrible sight.  She had to be put 
under she was so hysterical.  The vet even told us we had a bad kitty because I 
guess she put a job on him. From what I can tell she has not gone into heat 
during the time we've owned her which is around 4 months now.  She's an indoor 
cat but is allowed to go outside with us and Lenny for fresh air and nature.  
Neither cat is ever let outside without at least one of us in the yard with 
them and both stay very close.  It is impossible for either one go get out of 
the back yard, but yes, it is possible for an agile male to find his way in.  
Like I mentioned, they both are supervised diligently and only let out for a 
short time.  90% of the time they are inside or in the screened patio.  

    I know ultimately this is my decision but I would truly appreciate any 
thoughts you wonderful people might have on the subject.

    Many thanks

    Felvtalk mailing list

  Rescuties - Saving the world, one cat at a time.

  Vist the Rescuties store and save a kitty life!

  Check out our Memsaic!*

  Please help with some of our kitties medical needs!

  "Rather than helping, it's easier to point fingers and say "take them first 
as long as you leave me alone". 


  Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to