Lynne,

  I know it's scary because of what's happened.  I would still go ahead and
spay though.

Lynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Here I go again, waffling about neutering my cat.  I need some honest
advice here.  Don't just tell me what I want to hear but what I must hear.

  I haven't owned too many cats in my life, 3 to be exact because they all
lived very long lives.  Then came BooBoo and all the tragedy associated with
Feline leukemia, FIP etc.  I still say I shouldn't have neutered him (age 5)
and that stress contributed to his very quick demise.  My other cats have
always been neutered before we got them (from the humane society.)  Now we have
Snowy, the 3 and a half year old rescued cat who was very ill with feline
herpes virus.  It caused some scarring in one eye and apparently it took 2
months in a foster home to get her eyes and respiratory tract infection
treated.  She is seemingly very healthy, the vet says she has a strong heart.
What I did learn about her though was that she did have a litter of kittens at
one point and they all died.  I have read that it can be complicated to spay a
cat that has had a litter and that is why it is best to do it at a young age.
I have her scheduled to go in this Tuesday and I'm petrified.  I
 would absolutely die if something were to happen to her.  I worry about the
stress and her history of Herpes virus.  She's such a happy and loving little
girl but becomes very aggitated over having her eyes cleaned daily and being
brushed, necessary things for a persian.  When we got her about two weeks later
we discovered she had a very horrible ingrown nail and took her to the
emergency vet to have it surgically removed.  It was a horrible sight.  She had
to be put under she was so hysterical.  The vet even told us we had a bad kitty
because I guess she put a job on him. From what I can tell she has not gone
into heat during the time we've owned her which is around 4 months now.  She's
an indoor cat but is allowed to go outside with us and Lenny for fresh air and
nature.  Neither cat is ever let outside without at least one of us in the yard
with them and both stay very close.  It is impossible for either one go get out
of the back yard, but yes, it is possible for an
 agile male to find his way in.  Like I mentioned, they both are supervised
diligently and only let out for a short time.  90% of the time they are inside
or in the screened patio.

  I know ultimately this is my decision but I would truly appreciate any
thoughts you wonderful people might have on the subject.

  Many thanks
  Lynne