From: Christy Buchin <cstet...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Sick FelV kitten
To: "Feline Leukemia Website" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 1:55 PM

Gary,
I am sorry to hear that!  Gray Kitty had his second blood transusion last week.
 We know we can not sustain him this way, but we are trying to buy time.  His
Hematocrit went down to 9 when he was first diagnosed.  He had the first
transfusion and it ended up going in the normal range of 35.  He then dipped
back down to 18 and then 15.  At that time, he had a second transfusion and he
has gone back up to 35 again.  We are currently working with a doctor in
Michigan, who has done bone marrow transplants in cats.  We are hoping to help
future cats with this illness.
There is an anemia group as well?  How do I get to that one too?
I will keep you and your kitty in my prayers.  It is just so heartbreaking!>
From: gcru...@centurytel.net> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Date: Wed,
17 Dec 2008 08:38:55 -0600> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Sick FelV kitten> >
One of my FeLV cats is very anemic now and her anemia just hasn't responded
> to treatment, I will lose her this week as she has now refused to let me
> syringe feed her anymore, she has always been very good about it and about
> taking meds and now wants no part of it. There are many things you can try
> to get the anemia reversed, Epogen as previously mentioned, Immunoregulin,
> etc., but you may need a transfusion to give them time to work. >
Unfortunately, for my baby the transfusion didn't seem to do much good at
> all and her numbers just keep going down.> > One of my first FeLV
kittens had the same problem with his back legs, over a > period of a couple
of days they just stopped working and he couldn't pee. > Tried a lot of
different things but never got better and I never found out > what caused it,
please post if your vet finds out the cause.> > You might want to join the
anemia group on yahoo.> > Gary> > ----- Original Message ----- >
From: "Lorrie" <felineres...@kvinet.com>> To:
<felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>> Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:32
AM> Subject: [Felvtalk] Sick FelV kitten> > > > One of our FelV
kittens is very anemic. Has anyone ever tried iron> > suppliments? We went
back to the vet yesterday, and got her vitamins> > and iron, and hope this
will buy her a bit more time.> >> > She is 8 months old and only
weighs 3 1/2 pounds. She didn't> > actually lose the weight, she just
never gained anymore weight> > than that, as she is also a small cat.>
>> > She recently lost control of her back legs and the vet isn't
sure> > this is caused by the FelV. He thinks it may be a neurological>
> thing...... This happened suddenly about a week ago. First she was> >
wobbly and then she got so she couldn't stand at all, and also lost> >
control of her bladder and bowels. She is still eating and does not> >
seem to be in any pain. Otherwise I'd put her to sleep. She is my> >
daughter's favorite cat, and she doesn't want to do this unless the>
> cat is in distress. I just wondered if any of you had ever seen this>
> lose of mobility in a FelV cat? Advice please.> >> > Thanks,
Lorrie> >> >> >