I brought Charlotte back to the vet yesterday. She still wasn't doing well,
just nibbling at her food and appearing very lethargic. Since I wasn't
especially happy with my vet's response to her, I tried another clinic that I'd
heard good things about, just to get a second opinion. Dr. Ray took more blood
and told me that Charlotte was indeed very anemic - her PCV was 9% versus about
40% for a healthy young adult cat. So I was a little ticked off that my regular
vet didn't tell me just how anemic she was, and a week had gone by when
something else could have been done. The vet was concerned about tumors but
X-rays showed nothing. He recommended that a blood transfusion be done
immediately, so he packed up his 22 pound donor cat and I brought both cats to
North Fulton emergency center since they were just down the road & Dr Ray's
office was closing for the day.
I picked Charlotte up at 11:30 last night (lots of coffee was needed since it
was an hour and a half drive) and she was so hungry! She started chowing down
right away. She now has doxycycline and Prednisilone twice a day. Now we just
have to wait for the rest of the test results to come back. I'll keep you all
updated.
Thank goodness for Visa....it was almost $900 yesterday. My mom asked me, "Why
didn't you just put her down?" but I couldn't. She doesn't want to die. She's
purring and rolling over to be petted and even yesterday when she didn't feel
good she was going up to everybody and looking for attention.
Laura