Hi Belinda,

Thanks for writing.  I totally understand how you feel and just wanted to
respond.  My vet has worked with my leuk positives for several years now and is
amazing.  I've spent years working at different veterinary offices and I do
know how lousy some of them are.  I also know how cold and heartless some of
them can be when it comes to caring for our babies.  Lucky for me, that is not
my vet.  She takes amazing care of our kitties and I have all the confidence in
the world in her.  They don't push me to do things just to make money but they
also will stop at nothing to help my kitties when they need to.  I have spent
so many thousands of dollars trying to help these guys.  We've done chemo,
we've done ultrasounds, steroids, antibiotics, fluids, etc., the list goes on
and on.  I have always tried to save my babies in the past, sparing no expense
and doing everything possible.  The problem is, in my experience, I always lose
them to the leukemia eventually.
 Then sometimes I feel bad that I put them through those last couple weeks or
days and wonder if they suffered.  It's a personal decision and one everybody
must make but Maverick was miserable and for us we just knew when we found him
sleeping in the bathtub and not wanting to be bothered anymore.

I am listening to everything you have said and I will ask my vet about these
things because more knowledge is always a wonderful thing.  She always goes and
does research on anything unusual we come across and I always do the same.  She
spends hours with my cats and hours on the phone with me.  With this cat,
things came on very quickly.  I'm still left with unanswered questions because
I wasn't expecting this and I didn't see it coming.  However, I do know there
weren't any signs of liver failure two days ago when we saw the bloodwork, both
chem panel and CBC.  As far as food goes, she told me he needed to eat.  She
gave me tons of ideas for trying to get him to eat and I asked about force
feeding.  He couldn't keep anything I gave him down.  He just kept throwing it
up.  My only other choice would have been to hospitalize him and try bringing
him back but he's just not that type of cat.  Way too much attitude, spirit,
and personality to handle that.
 Hard to explain but totally not an option for this guy.

I'll always wonder if I did everything I could for him but I have to trust that
I did.  These cats mean the world to me and this one was actually rescued by my
vet.  He started coming around her barn and she brought him in to neuter him.
He tested positive and she called me.  We've all been very attached to him ever
since so she had as much interest in saving him as I did :(

Thanks again for all the info and I will make it a point to read and learn even
more about this disease.  I owe it to Maverick and I just hope I didn't let him
down or fail him in any way.

Amy