From: Orth, Sarai <orth...@dshs.wa.gov>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Baby Bella 3/4/09-7/9/09
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 2:41 PM

I subscribed to this mailing just a few weeks ago when I found out that
my 2 kittens were FeLV positive. I committed to caring for them though
the first vet (who since I have since stopped going to) told me to have
them put down and "spare myself the agony and financial burden".

My girl kitty, Bella, 4 months old had a pretty bad herpes infection
with a fever of 105 for over two weeks. She stopped eating her hard food
and I so I was spoon feeding her baby food to try to get her to gain
weight. She was also on antibiotics- She had good days and bad days, it
was quite the roller coaster for those weeks.  She seemed to be doing
better this past week- interacting more, eating lots, etc.  Then all of
a sudden, in the middle of the night on Wednesday, her neurological
system went haywire. She began biting herself uncontrollably, running
into walls, stumbling around and she lost most of her vision. Within 6
hours of the symptoms beginning, we were forced to love enough to let
her go. Our new vet was wonderful and helped us through the whole
process with kindness. He thinks that the leukemia went systemic and
settled in her brain. It feels like it happened so fast. While we are
still grieving our loss, we are also very worried about our other
kitten. While he is FeLV positive, he has not had any clinical issues.
He seems perfectly normal, loving and active.

I am wondering if there are others out there with a "not sick" FELV
kitty and if so, what kind of measures are you taking to help increase
their chance of making it through this? Our vet said that if he makes it
to 6 months old, we may be able to re-test to see if he has suppressed
the virus. He is just over 4 months old now and has lost his sister,
which has been very stressful on him. He is an indoors only kitty. We
also have him taking Lysine (to keep herpes symptoms at bay) and
Pet-tinic (vitamins).

~Sarai