I have to say I agree... it's me that was nervous, kitty did fine LOL! I also did not use tranquilizers.

Gloria

On Sep 24, 2009, at 8:24 PM, Chris wrote:

Ah traveling w. kitty.  I've flow w. my Tucson as well as some rescue
kitties several times.  Each time I packed my backpack with everything
cat-LOL (throwaway cardboard litter box, dry food, water, puppy pads, and on and on). NEVER did I use any of those things. I use a soft sided Sherpa bag-medium side. Airlines will tell you that a Sherpa bag is approved but
you'll find that they run tv & movie cables under the seat making it
impossible to really slide the bag under. Get a window seat and put your
legs in front of it and they'll never notice.

I try to get a seat where there's no one next to me so that after takeoff, I
can put the carrier on the seat--more for me than the cat, believe me!

I always put a harness on with their tags, etc. Only rough time is when you
go through security--they make you take the cat and go thru the metal
detector while the carrier goes through the xray machine. Its soooo much fun--we know how cats like crowds & strange noises! I usually open the top & clip a leash on the harness. I wrap the leash around my arm & then pick the cat up by draping a big towel around it so that it can't see ANYTHING! Then I drape the toweled cat over my shoulder & ignore the claws digging into my skin. You quickly go thru and race to the end of the conveyor belt to stuff the cat back in the carrier. Do NOT unhook the leash until the top
of the carrier is almost zipped shut.

Sounds awful but the weirdest thing is that during the entire time, the cat will just sit silently glaring at you. I know they're thinking of ways to pay you back for this indignity. They won't eat, drink, purr, meow-- they just glare! And of course, sleep! They don't get nervous--its we humans
that are the wrecks...

Christiane Biagi