I took my cat Gonzo to the vet a couple of days ago for a similar problem. He isn't FeLV+, but my other cat, Kong, is. I had noticed Kong's hair on his ears looks much thinner, but it hasn't spread and doesn't seem to be bothering him. Anyway, the vet didn't seem to know what was wrong with Gonzo, but said he did have ear mites which could lead to fur loss. He gave me Revolution, and I've treated both cats with no trouble. It's too early to tell if it will help, but the medication (it's the type you squirt between their shoulder blades), didn't seem to bother Kong at all.