Amy,
  This vet is either flat out lying or isn't using it correctly.

It is very rare but a cat can have a reaction and that reaction is that it wouldn't help and the HCT would continue to go down, in some cases this is because the dose isn't high enough, a few kitties need higher than the standard dose. But of course the vets freak out and assume the cat is having a reaction. So many vets are terrified of this drug and it doesn't make sense, basically if it isn't working you would be right back where you started. It is documented that about 10% to 30% of cats would fall into this category and of those it takes 5 months or longer of use for this to happen.

I know many, many people who have used it and only know of one cat that is was suspected had this happen and I honestly don't think that was the problem, I think that cat wasn't getting a high enough dose. Most of these cats are CRF but a few aren't and were anemic because of cancer or something else.

I've told Bailey's story more than once, he was positive, he became anemic and once his HCT got to 20%, I decided to try epogen, I think he was barely regenerative but honestly it has been so long I can't remember. He did not have kidney disease.

By the time we got the epogen in it took a few days, he had gone to 18% and once we started it went down to 15%, it took about 6 weeks to get his HCT to 40% which is a little quicker than you would like but he was fine and his HCT was still normal at 33%, 34% 5 months later when he died of pancreatic cancer.

You do have to monitor the blood pressure because it can go high, Bailey's did the opposite and got low but we had no problems with the epogen.

My vet has used it several times with FeLV+ cats and had luck with it.

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

http://bemikitties.com