I would consider trying pred and doxy too.  My cat is nonregenerative (has been
since at least Sept).  His HCT isn't that low but while trying to find out why
he was anemic, he did test positive for hemobart.  I had lost a cat to anemia a
few months before.  He was completely fine and then crashed suddenly (started
eating litter).  I tried to save him but he went so quickly.  At that time, I
didn't know to start pred and doxy.  We had done bloodwork every 6 months
routinely and it never showed on a smear.  My vet thought that was extremely
unlikely.  I will always wonder if I could have saved Maverick if I had given
him a transfusion along with pred and doxy but I just didn't know what I know
now.  I still feel that all happened to teach me something.  I tested every cat
in the house and all my positives except one tested positive, were treated,
retested and are all negative now.  They also had routine bloodwork every since
months and not one had ever
 shown hemobart on a smear.

I know my experience with anemia in kittens born with leukemia hasn't been very
good but I had kittens early on and didn't know what I know now.  I also always
wonder if I could have saved any of them if I'd treated for hemobart.

My understanding is that the type of hemobart my cats had is closely linked to
the progession of leukemia.  I honestly think if we hadn't treated my cats
hemobart, I would have lost him like every other cat I lost to anemia.  I will
probably put every positive that ever becomes anemic on both meds now while
trying to rule out other causes.

Sending positive thoughts for Brillo and Desmond.

Amy