Okay this is going to take awhile but here's a sort explanation from a pet
md website.  I should clarify - type C being the mutation I most fear -
causes the severe anemia and rapid decline to death.  It is what I have seen
multiple times.

FelV is a retrovirus, an enveloped RNA virus which uses specific enzymes to
translate its own RNA into DNA and incorporate that DNA into the body's DNA.
Retroviruses were only discovered in late 1960s and did not gain their name
till 1974.

In retroviral infection, a virus infects a new host through receptor
proteins on cells at the infection site, much like a key fits into a lock.
Once a cat is infected, the virus gains a foothold by undergoing a series of
genetic mutations designed to invade new sets of receptors, allowing it to
continually evade detection, attack, and ultimately shut down the body's
defenses. This shutdown occurs when mutated versions of the virus infect and
destroy the body's T cells, which are critical to immune function. Recently,
studies on FeLV identified another factor in the infection process: a
secondary retroviral receptor (or cofactor) that is crucial for the mutated,
or T-cell adapted, virus to do its work. Without this receptor,
appropriately dubbed FELIX, the virus would be unable to set up shop.
Specific blocking of FELIX may bring a new way to treat FeLV in future.

The specifics are certainly more complicated than this, but I'll try to find
a good article or paper or something.

Jenny