Marnie,  I'm late responding to your post, but I wanted to tell
you what a wonderful thing you are doing.

I also own a private shelter/santuary.  In 2004 I bought a large
2,000 sq ft. building in town and made it into a home like setting,
with furniture, climbing posts, window ledges, and large cat condos.
There are no cages as I can't stand to see cats caged up, so ours
have many rooms for the cats to run around in, and they really good
have a good life. I wish they all had individual homes, but I know
they'd be dead by now if I hadn't taken them in as they were all
abandoned when I rescued them.

It has cost me a small fortune to buy this building and heat it, plus
the money for vet bills, food and litter is several hundred dollars a
month, but it's what I want to do with a small inheritance my parents
left me. I have no help other than my son-in-law, my daughter, and a
paid cleaning lady. We live in a very small town, and our humane
society only has 8 active people who are into dogs, not cats.

Lorrie