I had the same experience with the feline Pine.  It smells like moldy wood to
me.  Bought one bag and never again.

I think we may need to make a distinction between rescue households with a lot
of cats and a constant parade of fosters coming and going and a household with
just a few pet cats.  Mine is a rescue household and I have adopters coming too
the house so I have to make sure it doesn't stink.  I've been using clumping
litter for more than 10 years and we've never had a problem.  (When I fostered
kittens though I used the old fashioned non-clumping clay litter because
kittens have been known to try to eat litter.)