To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] doubts on two FeLV positive kitties

An antigen is any substance that causes your body to produce antibodies. Foreign substances such as chemicals, bacteria, viruses, and pollen are antigens.

So since a virus is an antigen it kind of sounds stupid to say the ELISA test for the FeLV virus antigen. It sounds like it's saying the same thing twice - it's testing for the virus virus. I guess it just sounds more medical to say virus antigen instead of just virus.

Anyway, logically if the ELISA detects the virus in the saliva, blood, etc. it seems like it would be contagious at that point. But if the experts are saying that isn't so then I can't argue. Maybe it does have something to do with the virus getting into the white blood cells and bone marrow before it can be spread, like you were saying. Haven't read that but it is kind of curious. This disease never makes sense and for every rule there's an exception.

Oh, one thing in my book said that one reason not all cats exposed to it don't get it is because they are not exposed to it often enough. Like eating after another cat one time is not enough for the virus to spread. It takes a long time, usually a couple months or so at least, with continuous exposure for a cat to pick up the virus from another cat. The book said about 30 % of cats exposed to the virus don't get it because either they're resistant or don't have enough exposure to it. Another 30 % get it but are able to extinguish it before it gets into their white blood cells or bone marrow. 5 - 10 % put the disease into latentcy and then the remaining 30% are the ones that get the virus and are not able to fight it off and will test positive on the IFA and usually die from the disease.

Still don't know the answer to the question of whether the virus can be shed at the stage where the ELISA is positive but the IFA is negative. If anyone finds out let us know.

“I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain