On that, I have had a few ferals that were held inside after vet treatment for various reasons: weather (very hot or cold etc), dangers (size and age of cat and the presents of packs of dogs, hawks etc) healing time + adjust time (they were returning to their own group), and just because of numerous other concerns. None of them have ever forgotten their nature. These ferals live at my Mom's but I am the primary servant. Mom's concerns have to be addressed.

This is my experience only.
On Aug 11, 2011, at 8:26 PM, Diane Rosenfeldt wrote:

Bonnie, I would suggest going to the feral_cats Yahoogroup and reading the Files. You have to look a little, but there is good advice for dealing with all kinds of situations. You can join the group and just ask, of course, but they will respect you more if you look in the Files first.

I’m not completely sure of this, but I think that list advises AGAINST holding a cat you’re going to TNR inside for that long unless it is ill and under treatment. The idea being that it will lose its sense of being an outside cat. They DO advocate, when relocating, holding the cat outside in a large cage for a few weeks to get them used to the yard and the idea that “this is where food is.”

Hope this helps.

Diane R.

From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org ] On Behalf Of Bonnie Hogue
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:31 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Sorry to Ask so much, but...

Folks
I’m sorry to be monopolizing all this “air space” on the list this morning, but am trying to figure this out with this cat.

So, if I decide to put her in my bathroom for a 2 to 3 weeks, as has been suggested, then how do I introduce her to ‘living outside’ again? I currently have 4 cats PLUS am trying to introduce my aunt’s cat, Princess. I know this doesn’t sound like much to some of you, but it’s getting a bit stress (maybe more for me than for the felines!)….

Again, I can’t thank you enough for sharing your information and experiences. I deeply appreciate you all!

~Bonnie