To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Vet meds

Cindy,

FishMox is NOT the same as Clavamox, FishMox is the same as Amoxicillin. Clavamox is a mixture of amoxicillin and clavauntic(sp) acid which enhances the amoxicillin. FishMox is fine to use, just make sure you know how to dose it for cats, it comes in 250 mg or 500 mg capsules. Dosage for cats is 5-10 mg per pound once or twice a day.

Clavamox is available from overseas without a script, but tends to be a bit expensive. The human form of clavamox is called Augmentin and has the same ingredients, but you have to be careful with dosages for cats as they way ingredients are listed tends to be confusing. Tablets of the same dosage vets give use to be sold overseas, but as far as I know, it has been discontinued by every place I know.

Doxycycline is and excellent antibiotic and is the antibiotic of choice for many things in the Cornell University Shelter Medicine program. You can buy it without a script as Bird Biotic in 100 mg capsules. dosage for cats is max 4 mg per pound once a day.

Both FishMox (amoxicillin) and Bird Biotic (doxycycline) must be mixed with a liquid for proper dosing. Additionally, doxycycline should never be given to a cat in any dry form as it can cause damage in the esophagus. You can use a lot of different liquids to mix these with, but I use 1/3 water and then add 2/3 lite kayro syrup, It helps kill the taste and doesn't go bad. Amoxicillin must be refrigerated after mixing and lasts 10 to 14 days, but it can be frozen for long periods. Doxycycline need not be refrigerated (unless the liquid you use needs refrigeration) and should be discarded after 30 days.

Here are a couple of links http://www.1drugstore-online.com and http://www.supersavermeds.com/

If anyone is interested in Zithromax, I get it from a contact in Thailand much cheaper than here. Email me off list and I will put you in contact with him.

Please, everyone be sure to know the proper dose for cats for any med you are giving and how to get that dose from the product you have.

Gary