From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of dppl dppl
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 6:53 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] stray kitten positive any advice for me

I came across this site, having just been informed by the vet that the
abandoned kitten I took in three weeks ago. Before I took it to the vet,  I
have been keeping it in a separate room but admit that since it seemed so
healthy I let it out for little walks.  I have 4 cats over 12 years old.
Other than walking on the same floors, they have not had contact with this
kitten.  In our short phone call, the vet basically said that she would
understand if I euthanized the cat and that she wasn't sure about false
positive and whether retesting would be worthwhile. The cat also has
hookworms.  When I took the cat in, she suggested that I give it its
vaccinations before waiting for test results.  I asked if the cat turned out
postitive, wouldn't this harm its immune system.  she said no.  Now when she
called she said she was surprised that the cat tested positive since, other
than the sore gums, which she attirbuted to teething and bad breath, she
said it seemed healthy.  It does seem healthy , eats well and plays. and is
the sweetest cat, loving and intelligent.  I am heartbroken about this. I'm
sorry I haven't had time to read all archives but I work from home and also
take care of my bedridden elderly mother.  Is there anyone out there would
be kind enough to give me some advice? Thank you. PS  the test done was
elisa and it just says "positive" the vet estimates the cat is from 5-6
months old.