From: Maureen Olvey <molvey...@hotmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] stray kitten positive any advice for me

Like everyone else has said, ALWAYS ALWAYS re-test.  Never rely on one positive
ELISA test.  It can show a false positive but even if it's not a false positive
it is possible the cat can extinguish, meaning totally get rid of, the virus.
I would do an IFA test like someone else mentioned.  It looks to see if the
virus has spread into the white blood cells.  If the IFA is negative the cat
can still kick the virus so you would need to wait and re-test.  Also, the cat
could put the virus into dormancy, which means it may  not ever have problems
with the virus and it can't spread it.

Lots of people on the site have mixed positives and negatives.  I have a friend
with lots of rescued cats.  She has 3 positive cats.  She has all her negative
cats vaccinated against FeLV and over the years none have ever caught FeLV.
She even has FIV positive cats that get vaccinated and have never caught the
FeLV virus.  No vaccinations are 100% but it would seem that in most cases it
works.  Another vet I talked with said that most researchers now feel that even
non-vaccinated healthy adult cats are resistant to the FeLV virus.  So even if
you don't vaccinate it's possible the other cats wouldn't catch the virus.
That happened in my house.  No cats in my house caught the virus from one who
had it (her first test was negative so I didn't know I had a FeLV cat mixed in
until she died and we did the necropsy and another ELISA).  None of my cats
were vaccinated against FeLV but somehow none of them caught it.  In your case
though, I
 wouldn't take the chance and would vaccinate the other cats but it's just
interesting that it's not spread as easy as many people believe.