Yes, that is correct. A positive Elisa & a negative IFA means the Cat IS 
positive, the virus is just not replicating in the bone marrow yet. That's why 
I worry when people get so excited about a negative IFA. It really only means 
the cat may still throw off the virus.
It's strange your vet didn't make that clear. But then some vets seem clueless 
when it comes to this virus. 
Hoping for the best for your babies.

GRAS <> wrote:

>Hi, everyone:
>OK - I guess this is where I should come in and explain about what happened
>to me, based on the note below:
>If anyone can remember, about 3 1/2 yrs ago, Eliot Spitty,  was diagnosed by
>the ELISA test to be FeLV positive.  I couldn't find him a home, so I found
>another positive cat for him after 2 years of him being all alone (they
>became close buddies almost overnight). After I joined the group, I learned
>about the IFA test, had them both tested in June, they were negative.  I
>introduced them to the rest of the cats (I operate a cat rescue group from
>our home).  Eliot died of renal failure in September (euthanized), and Mr.
>Tux being such a snuggle bunny, was adopted three weeks ago to a home where
>another cat was adopted from me over 10 years ago.  A week ago, Mr. Tux
>started losing appetite, and developed 105 temperature.  The woman's sister
>is a veterinarian, knowing his history, she immediately tested him ELISA &
>IFA - both were positive, and his virus is already in his bone marrow. They
>are heartbroken because their 7-yr old daughter and Mr. Tux fell in love at
>first sight - he slept under her arm, the other cat, Riley, at her side.
>The cats were friendly, but not close (but as we know, FeLV is a very sneaky
>virus). They will have to test Riley in about 5 weeks, Mr. Tux went to live
>with the vet who has a real animal-loving 3-yr old and a dog (Mr. Tux likes
>dogs). Bottom line is:  All my cats have been exposed to Eliot and Mr. Tux
>since mid-June.  Since the youngest and oldest or not-so-healthy cats are at
>most risk, I started with our 6-month old Hammie who was only 5 weeks old
>when he came to us.  We also tested a cat that had to have another blood
>tests for his ongoing renal problem - both were NEGATIVE! However, little
>Hammie has a 1045.2 temperature, yet was exposed to Mr. Tux long enough to
>have shown reliable results.  Hammie had an episode of unknown origin in
>September, of 104.4 temperature.
>I will test the youngest ones first, then the oldest and weakest.  The
>"middle class" will come last.  I don't know what the results will be, I
>hope that they're all OK - but if it isn't, I am already doing research into
>natural things, changing their diets (even if it means I have to cook for
>them).  I am re-reading Anitra Frazier's The New Natural Cat and Dr.
>Pitcairn's Natural Health for Dogs and Cats - have had the books for years.
>Will also check out my Nicholas Dodd The Cat that Cried for Help, maybe
>there's some advice ion there.
>The more I read about the tests, the more it becomes obvious that even if
>the IFA comes back negative after a positive ELISA, it only means that the
>virus just isn't in the bone marrow yet.  If the cat tests positive on ELISA
>and negative on a follow-up ELISA, then the cat is negative.  Unless, of
>course, the ELISA was a false positive, and again a false positive, which I
>assume can also happen - there are so many variables, and it's a shame that
>so many false positives occur, and so many vets tell people to euthanize
>their cats just because they have tested positive.
>I have privately sent some info I found to the other two who have reported
>cats diagnosed with FeLV, too large to send to this group. I will send it to
>Lee as well.
>I am keeping my hopes up that my household won't become a FeLV clinic..
>[] On Behalf Of Lee Evans
>Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:31 PM
>To: felvtalk
>Subject: [Felvtalk] (no subject)
>Sunday, February 5, 2012 3:44 PM
>My cat Moses tested positive for FeLv.  Since I have many other cats, I
>isolated him in a room in my house, retested three months later and he
>tested negative.  That was about 6 years ago.  He's still going strong and
>happy.   If Ginger is an only cat, just allow her to continue her life,
>retest in about two or three months.  Even if she's still positive, that's
>NOT a death sentence if she's happy and free from stress and physical
>danger. Feed her good food, clean water.  Think simple.  If she has a
>problem with something, it may be just a normal cat situation, not related
>to leukemia but always have it checked out.  Most important, get a second
>opinion and a vet who is going to treat Ginger as if she has years of life
>ahead of her. Be happy and don't look at her as if she's a pending fatality.
>Look at her the same way you have been doing all along.  A wonderful cat
>enjoying her life.
>Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to