Hardware cloth, ¼” or ½” is a lot better than chicken wire; much sturdier –
that’s what we used on our outdoor enclosures.  We purchased a few
ready-made kits from C&D, the panels are covered with turkey wire – also
sturdy.

From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Lee Evans
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 12:04 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] RACCOON GETTING INTO CAT STATION

I have an outside enclosure built around a fairly large wooden shed (the
type you get at Home Depot or other undo-it-yourself places).  I also have
the same wire fencing enclosing the porch of a small cottage type building
(one large room, no plumbing) that the former owners used for crafts
projects.  I use it for my FIV+ cat sanctuary.  They love going out on the
porch and watching the enormous peacock who comes to eat cat food every
evening on the deck of my mobile home.  When I get some money (never? ever?)
I'm going to enclose the deck with the same gauge wire fencing. The peacock
will have to eat near the garage when that happens.  I want my main
community of cats who are inside the house right now to have access to the
lovely scenery outside - birds, crickets as large as rats (gasp!), and all
sorts of moths and other weird flying things.  It will also free up some
space in my house for ME!  How selfish of me. I'll call the guy who built
the enclosures for me and ask him what type of fencing he used, the gauge
and what it is called (not chicken wire or chain link, I know that). I'll
post here so those of you who want to make a safe outside enclosure for your
fur kids will have some info on options.

  _____