What I would recommend when dumping and completely changing out litter is to
use a plastic pitcher and scoop the litter out into another container, clean
the box and then scoop it back and add fresh.  Also, if I am working on
something that requires me to be bent over for a period of time, I use the: 2
in 1 Large Steel-Framed
Folding Garden Kneeler/Seat with Thick Foam Pad
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Steel-Framed-Folding-Garden-Kneeler/dp/B004QBMZUM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349731118&sr=8-5&keywords=gardening+seat
  You can purchase it from amazon or from Home Depot or Lowes and it's great
for kneeling on when painting baseboard because the legs act as a handle with
which to push yourself back up OR you can sit on it while cleaning and/or
scooping litterboxes.  It is very lightweight and you can drag it around to the
different boxes :)