Everyone in my area knows that if they find a sick or injured animal, bring it
to Dorlis, the crazy cat lady.  I even rescued a juvenile turkey vulture last
fall.  After I noticed him, I made a call to the bird sanctuary in St. Louis to
find out what and how to do.  They said give him some time and feed him.  I
went to a meat processing place nearby and got a 5 gallon bucket of deer
trimmings every day for a bout a week.  He recovered on his own, thank God,
because trying to capture him would put myself and my helper in jeopardy.  It
seems that they bite with a mouth of razor sharp teeth and at the same time
vomit which could cause severe, possibly fatal infection.  I do know how to do
it should I ever need to.
Now to your 3 legged cat.  Has he not tamed down?  Every feral I have found
eventually became the biggest baby, loving to sit on my lap and sleep on the
bed.  Took me about 8 months of letting him/her decide when to take the next
step. I got bit a couple of times when I broke the rules (forgot to tap on door
so he could see me coming).  He felt trapped, could not flee, so latched onto
my leg and bit.