Hi Kasia,


                  So sorry that you are facing this dilemma. I recently faced the same scenario. Like you, the more I learned, the less I seemed to know. All I can offer is the decision I made. When Gribble was diagnosed in March, he had been with his clowder a year and 2 months. At that time, all _tested_ negative. I asked my Vet whether there was anything to be done, and her words were "that ship has sailed". So I did not vaccinate his companions. However, any new additions and other cats that may come in contact with him will be vaccinated using the Merial rFeLV recombinant vaccine. I decided this when I was placed in a position of adding one more cat, and now it is done. Whether I made the right choice has yet to be determined. 


                   You will find that there is no one answer. You will find people who mix, and thise who don't.


                   All I can say is learn what you can, and if you have done that, make the best choice you can for your circumstances. Please let us know if there are specific questions, as someone here may have been in the same position, and will have some insight to offer.


All the best,




-----Original Message-----
From: kasia mosko
Sent: Jun 2, 2013 10:31 AM
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org"
Subject: [Felvtalk] New To Group


I have six cats and one of the has been recently diagnosed with feline leukemia and lymphoma (going through a chemotherapy). I have contacted two vets regarding Jack, and my other cats, and they both tell me something totally different. One of them says that I should separate Jack, and test the other cats for Leukemia, and vaccinate them if they are negative. The second vets tells me that the cats were already exposed to the virus and hopefully their immune system was strong enough to fight it. I also understood that once a cat is exposed to it, the virus may come to the surface at any time (even though the test may show negative today it may change tomorrow), and it is too late for the vaccination. I am totally confused and not sure what my next step should be. 
Help would be greatly appreciated,
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to