Hi Shelley -
First of all, thanks for giving this guy a chance & not immediately putting him
down.

1) A negative IFA does NOT mean the cat is not FeLV positive. It simply means
the virus is not replicating in his bone marrow.
    If a cat has a positive SNAP test, he is still positive.
    If you do get an IFA & it is positive, it simply means he will not throw
the virus off.
2) Those 3-way SNAP tests that test for heartworms are notoriously unreliable.
Our
 shelter stopped using them after we had a slew of cats test
     postitive for FeLV. They were retested on the 2-way test twice, & and came
up negative.
3) It is too late now, but I would never give an FelV cat an FVRCP vaccine. I
did that once to 2 sisters I had. One immediately became ill (she had
    been healthy up until then) & died shortly afterward. Her sister died soon
after. I have heard of other FeLV cats getting sick right after FVRCP
    vaccines. Not need to stress their immune systems out unless there is some
seriously good reason why you need to vaccinate.

4) I don't think L-Lysine can hurt. It's pretty cheap & you can get it in a
powder form you can sprinkle over their food.
5) I have used Interferon in the past, but from what I understand it takes a
long time to work. I stopped because I felt like I was stressing the cats out

    too much with the daily medicine routine. Plus you have to give it to them
the right way. You can't just squirt it randomly in their mouths.
6) I think the best thing you can do is feed a high-quality food & keep stress
down.

Good luck!

Beth