I can sure empathize with your friend, my bf and I care for over 20
colonies.  The rescue bills over the years have taken any credit we can
find, we have no money for a home (health/dental etc) for ourselves, and
our daily lives completely hinge on the weather and our colonies, not to
mention work, TNR and the tons of rescue that goes with all of this.  We
just this week had a litter of kittens dumped at one of our spots (an
obvious dumping as opposed to "wandered up" kittens--all the cats are
fixed) with one kitten needing a blood transfusion, and already had several
kittens in rescue.

So I can absolutely relate...I'm not familliar with any Texas groups other
than ShadowCats, but hope perhaps there is a group that gets damaged goods
from grocery stores that could help with food?  We used to get that though
haven't in about a year, it was through a rescue group so I can't offer any
pointers on how to find that but it's certainly worth inquiring with any
group she can find.

If they have good low-cost TNR clinics there, she should check with them
and any shelters that support TNR and might have a food bank.  Our Humane
Society has a food bank for needy people with pets and will allow
caretakers in need to draw upon this a bit, if they have sufficient stock.

If I think of any ideas I will post, please let your friend know there are
others out there in similar dire straits--not much consolation, I know!

Thank you for trying to help her, I hope support is found.

Heather