Using a feeding syringe (3cc syringe) is better than stuffing pate in her
mouth. You have to blend the pate with some soup (not with onion though) until
it's like very thick cream and give her about a half syringe at a time. Towel
on lap, tissue box nearby at hand, cat on lap, soft loving talk to cat, syringe
at corner of mouth is how I syringe feed my cats during illness. Be sure to
wipe her mouth frequently and do the feeding slowly. It may take almost a half
hour but if you do it with loving murmurs, she will feel that she is spending
quality time with you instead of having food stuffed into her mouth. Feeding
tubes are invasive and uncomfortable for cats and should be a last resort. I
usually use Hills A/D as it's a very soft pate made for syringe feeding ill
cats. You buy it at the vet clinic. Get about 5 cans as you will be throwing
away left overs that have already been blended. Try to get a half a can at a
time into her. Once you syringe feed for
 a short time, their regular appetite takes over. Also, I would recommend you
ask your vet about a antibiotic injection instead of pills or liquid.

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:01 AM, Margo <toomanykitti...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>>Hi Jennifer,
>>                       Well, I think she will need some help. I am surprised
>>that a Vet allowed a dehydrated cat to leave without doing something about
>>it, so I'd call and ask why. It's good that she is drinking, but it is
>>impossible to correct clinical dehydration orally, she must have either IV or
>>sub-q fluids. That alone MAY be enough (combined with the B-12) to start her
>>eating again, it can be miraculous. If you don't want to try the Clavamox,
>>then take her (what is her name?) in and request sub-q fluids (and have them
>>show you how to do it at home) and ask about Convenia, a long-lasting
>>injectable antibiotic. I don't generally recommend it, but it's better than
>>nothing, and less stressful for both of you. Explain that medicating orally
>>seems too stressful. You could ask about appetite stimulants, but they need
>>to be given by mouth as well, so maybe you don't want to try.
>>                       Much depends on how far you want to go. Sub-q's and
>>assist feedings aren't difficult to do, but you may not have the time to give
>>to this. I would say, even if you decide not to continue long-term care, get
>>to the Vet (or another of you don't want to go back there) TODAY for sub-q or
>>IV fluids, and see if that helps.. If you have to work, most Vets will allow
>>drop-off.
>>                       Please help her by getting the dehydration resolved.
>>She feels totally lousy, and of course doesn't want to eat, or move. At least
>>she will feel better, and that's critical, whatever course you elect to
>>follow.
>>All the best,
>>Margo

 so that she would have the best chances.  I'm just wondering if any of you
have gone through the same thing and if I can expect her to pull out of this on
her own, or, if she doesn't, how long she might have left.  I'm sincerely
heartbroken.  I really thought I had nursed her through the most risky part of
her illness (kittenhood) and that she would now go on to live a halfway long
life.  In any case, if anyone has any advice or information I would greatly
appreciate it.