At the Shelter where I volunteer, they find that rehydrating a
cat by giving sub-q usually perks up their appetite.

Chris C.

From: Margo
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:00 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Fwd: virus has finally caught up with her :-(

  Hi Jennifer,

                         Well, I think she will need some help. I am surprised
that a Vet allowed a dehydrated cat to leave without doing something about it,
so I'd call and ask why. It's good that she is drinking, but it is impossible
to correct clinical dehydration orally, she must have either IV or sub-q
fluids. That alone MAY be enough (combined with the B-12) to start her eating
again, it can be miraculous. If you don't want to try the Clavamox, then take
her (what is her name?) in and request sub-q fluids (and have them show you how
to do it at home) and ask about Convenia, a long-lasting injectable antibiotic.
I don't generally recommend it, but it's better than nothing, and less
stressful for both of you. Explain that medicating orally seems too stressful.
You could ask about appetite stimulants, but they need to be given by mouth as
well, so maybe you don't want to try.

                         Much depends on how far you want to go. Sub-q's and
assist feedings aren't difficult to do, but you may not have the time to give
to this. I would say, even if you decide not to continue long-term care, get to
the Vet (or another of you don't want to go back there) TODAY for sub-q or IV
fluids, and see if that helps.. If you have to work, most Vets will allow
drop-off.

                         Please help her by getting the dehydration resolved.
She feels totally lousy, and of course doesn't want to eat, or move. At least
she will feel better, and that's critical, whatever course you elect to follow.

  All the best,

  Margo