Holly, the old hand cranked sock machine that I have, was found for me by one 
of the women I have know for 2 1/2 years via the Internet in New Hampshire, 
Elsie McCarthy, she makes socks for sale and sells socks in two stores near 
her home, she also makes socks to sell, and makes socks all year long, she is 
I guess what they call a production sock maker, and makes 6 or 7 hundred each 
year. I think she said one year she hit a thousand pair, which I think is 
tremendous, this add a solid income for her. The sock machines are hard to 
find today, that is good ones, there are a lot of them for sale on the E-bay 
sock site, and many of them come from Canada, where they were very popular in 
the 30's and 40's. The machine I have is an Auto-Knitter made in the 40's. 
You can go to a few spots on the web, type in Sock machines, and there are a 
few sites that will show you the different types of machines that were sold. 
They all operate mostly the same way, and have a flat ribber on top that 
makes the ribbing for the sock, but you can also just use the cylinder 
needles and make a sock that is just stockinette. I hope you have a chance to 
see one of these machines, very fascinating to see one in operation. I do 
enjoy making socks and have made 112 pair since I got the machine a year a a 
half ago. Keep your feet warm, If you do find someone who needs a free pair 
of socks let me know, thanks again, Barry Travis, Arlington, Virginia

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to