>> That the Germans need to have their fiber cut rather than plucked, and
that they do not have those hairs that stick out like the french. <<
I have a black giant Angora. I'm told by a breeder that they're no longer
called German Angoras, but just Giant Angoras. I was also told you can't
pluck them. I just harvested a box full of fiber that came off the GA as I
brushed/combed him. While it's true that I didn't pluck it, neither did I
have to cut it, to harvest it.

I think, and this is only my opinion, that there has been some crossing of
the giants with French and English Angoras. Depending on the pedigree, or
breeder, you may get a giant that can be plucked, since shedding would be
affected by the introduction of the pluckable breeds into the German.

BTW, the theory that they can't be plucked, may date back to the way their
fur was originally harvested by the Germans--they were shorn assembly line
style, by mechanical means, not by people. The tails of the newborns were
docked at birth, so that the tails wouldn't be cut off later, by the
shearing machines.

No flames, please. If any breeders object to this information being posted,
please contact me off list. If you're going to reply in public, keep it
civil. Thanks!
wrnk
d2
California
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to