YES, in case of large files and large records it is .
In facts the caches enhancing the throughput of a IDE array , in these cases
are almost irrelevant.

The way I have found ''economical'' not to say cheap to implement this has
been to deal the disks and the controller on eBay (despite I am Italian and
hence high costs of shipment and high costs of customs duties).
I have paid the controller (29160 full) 165$, the 36GB 160MB/s IBM 10K rpm =
367$ , the first 18GB 160MB/s 255$,  the second 18GB (from Germany) 235$.
All the units were sealed brand new.
The sustained throughput (not peak!) is for all of them 29MB/s on 64KB
stacks.
Anyway ... the test at work ... was ARRAY vs. parallel raw access.... the
physical drives were the same simply differing by the architecture of access
.

Ready to give further explainations ... sorry for the broken English !  ;-))

Sincerely.

Ezio

www.lucenti.com  e-photography site