Are you a musician?

Yes, piano, organ, violin, viola, bass-baritone

Are you active?

Yes! Minister of Music (organist, choir director -- singers and handbells) for a program size Episcopal parish; keyboard player with a band specializing in 30's-50's repertory), violinist with Ars Nova Trio (baroque literature), conductor of the Northern Neck Orchestra (Kilmarnock VA).

Are you retired?

Not yet!

Where are you from and where are you residing now?

Native of West Virginia now living in southeastern Virginia

What kind of music do you specialize in?

Quite eclectic -- everything from Gregorian chant to newly composed art music; band, orchestra, choral. In my youth I worked in NYC for several years as a pianist for all the major dance companies and teachers. Also held positions with San Francisco Ballet, Oakland Symphony. I am a chamber musician having played most of the literature for piano and other instruments. I have good chops. I conduct a fair amount of American musical theatre on a freelance basis. I don't do rap.

Are you an instrumentalist, composer/arranger/copiest, teacher, etc.?

All of the above. I studied piano with David Bradshaw (NYC), conducting with Lazlo Varga (orchestral), Byron McGilvray (choral), Ed. Kruth (wind band), composition with Roger Nixon, organ with Alex Post, voice with Catherine Harvey (all at San Francisco State University from which I was graduated in 1984, magna cum laude). I served two terms as Dean of the Tidewater Chapter of The American Guild of Organists.

Guy Hayden, Minister of Music
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
372 Hiden Boulevard
Newport News, Virginia 23606