David,

Optimization in Finale allows to remove blank staves _and_ makes the
vertical spacing of each system independent from the global setting. It
has *all* to do with the vertical spacing.

You can optimize without removing empty staves.

Unless I am missing something here it is you who hasn't understood the
concept of optimization in Finale. The meaning of the word in this
particular context is pretty much besides the point.

But if anything to optimize means to make individual staves more
optimal, and that could well mean increasing the space between staves.

Johannes