David W. Fenton wrote:

Yes, you may have to recompile your runtime under the most recent .NET version,

Recompiling is not an option in this context. What I am saying is that my old DOS utilities continue to run *without* recompile since the last time I build them in the mid-1980s. Meantime, I think there is every chance that my ASP.NET apps of today will require being recompiled to run under some not-very-distant OS version only a few years hence.

I also disagree that the Windows backwards-compatibility picture is as rosy as you suggest, but ymmv. It certainly has a better track record over 25 years than does MacOS.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com