A-NO-NE Music schrieb:

The way I do, I get the best one available at the moment, and never
depend on anything that is the 1st generation from Apple!

If I were you, I'd go for either G5 dual 2.7GHz or AlBook(Powerbook)15"
1.67GHz.  Better machine lasts longer.  However, as my Dual 2.5GHz also
is, the machine which has Liquid Cooling System means the CPU is over-
clocked.  If you want to play safe, go with one which doesn't have it.

I really would not go by this recommendation, unless you have very special needs (ie do a lot of Video editing). The top of the range machine is always overpriced (especially true for the whole Powerbook range, if you want a portable get an iBook). I would consider it a complete waste of money to get a top of the range machine unless you are really going to utilize its power now.

To me, SuperDrive is very important because it would make backup
easier.  On the other hand, I wasn't able to determine if PCI-X is
really important to my needs especially it means AMD Hyper-Transport bug
inside, but I went with Dual 2.5GHz anyway and hoping I will have enough
power for a while.

It's extremely easy to add an external DVD-R later on. You can get a Pioneer drive, similar to the Superdrive, but two generations better, for very little money. Unless you need it built in in a laptop I recommend you get an external drive.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de