And I like multi-monitor displays. I like to be able to set everything up however I want. Within reaons ;)

Hi Owain,

If you want to have more than one monitor going, you will have to go with either the Powerbook (not the iBook) or a G5 Tower. You can hook a second monitor up to the iBook G4 and the iMac G5 but the image will be mirrored...in otherwords, you won't have an extended desktop and it sounds like that is what you are looking for.

I have both a G5 Tower and a powerbook. I need the power of the G5 in my studio to run all of my audio apps. (film scoring and music production) But my powerbook is just fine for my Finale application usage and the light use I make of DP when I'm doing Midi Transcription. I often hook up a second monitor to my powerbook as well as a regular sized keyboard and mouse. I like having the portability of the powerbook as I take this rig to the scoring stage and on the road when I need to.

But the powerbook isn't enough to run my studio...it does choke under a heavier CPU load. So if you are going to make use of Logic or Digital Performer with a lot of plugins going etc. You may think about getting a G5 Tower.

I wouldn't recommend getting a refurbished machine unless you also get Applecare if you can afford a new machine.

I would suggest getting the most powerful machine you can afford no matter which model you decide on. And buy a bunch of RAM if you are going to run heavier audio applications. I wouldn't go with less than 1GB of RAM ....two is even better.

Good luck and have fun!

Best,

Karen