David W. Fenton wrote:

I'm about to start creating a bunch of MP3 files that are recorded from my sound card playing back MIDI files created from Finale files. It seems to me when comparing these two files:

http://www.dfenton.com/Midi/MozartK581Arr/MozartK581ArrA.mp3
http://www.dfenton.com/Midi/MozartK581Arr/MozartK581ArrA1.mp3

there is no apparent difference in sound quality. The first is 192K and the second is 128K. The file size difference is significant enough that if the 128K files are good enough, I'll go with those.

Does anyone here any significant differences between the two? I can convince myself that I do, but it seems only psychological. I definitely hear a different between 192 and 128 with live recordings, but my soundcard output seems to be sufficiently less complex waveforms that there's no difference to my ear.

But it's incredibly difficult for me to test objectively, so I'd appreaciate anyone who cares to listen and let me know what they think.

I find a noticeable difference in the upper partials, especially in the viola's sound. The 192 sounds a bit richer.

In my own tests to determine best encoding rates, I have found such a tiny change between 192 and anything higher that I am very satisfied with 192 encoding, since most of the change in tone that I do notice makes no difference on the headphones or speakers I listen to the MP3 files through. But I notice a big change between 128 and 192, with a noticeable dropoff in upper partials which deadens the tone noticeably enough for me not to like it.

--
David H. Bailey