Lon,

I have similar lyric problems and have simply assumed that it was too much for Finale to handle automatically and made tweaking adjustments after Finale had done its best (worst).  After all, I used to have similar problems with hand copying where I'd find that I hadn't left enough space to accommodate something.  I had an electric eraser that left a spew of vinyl all over my desk.  Yes, Finale should do better, but I don't think it's easy to take everything that happens in music into account, so maybe I'm a little more patient.

I never include chords in music spacing because of the problem you describe.  Again, I have to tweak these things afterwards, by adding space to overcrowded measures or moving elements within crowded measures so that collisions are avoided.  The chord situation is bad, but I wonder how much better it is going to get.  It's relatively easy if you choose a spaced out layout - 4 measures on a line (or fewer), the way hand copyists used to do jazz charts, but it's hard to get a good balance of space and reading efficiency, so the eye of the player doesn't have to travel too far to get to the next bit of information.  I work on this all the time in my parts, and I never know if I've done the very best I can.

Chuck


On Sep 30, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Lon Price wrote:

I'm working on a batch of lead sheets, and I'm running into some major annoyances about lyric spacing, word extensions, etc.

1.  Why does Finale not recognize tied notes when avoiding lyric collisions?  When I have an 8th note tied to another note, I get a big space between the 8th and the tied note.  I don't want that.  If I deselect avoid collisions of lyrics, then I get collisions everywhere else.  There doesn't seem to be an option to ignore the first note of a group of tied notes.  In fact, only the LAST note of a tied group should be recognized in regard to collisions.  This is also a problem with chords.  Try entering Bbm7(b5) over an 8th tied to another note.  You get a BIG space between the two notes.
Does ANYONE want this behavior?  I seriously doubt it.

2. With smart extensions selected I'm having trouble with getting rid of extensions that I don't want, like when an instrumental section immediately follows a lyric, and there's no rest between the two.   When I try to delete the unwanted extension, it just gets redrawn.  Is this a bug in FinMac 2006, or am I doing something wrong?

Lon

********************************************
Lon Price, Los Angeles


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list


Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836
phone (360) 671-3402
fax (360) 676-6055
www.chuckisraels.com

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to