On Sep 30, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Lon Price wrote:

1.  Why does Finale not recognize tied notes when avoiding lyric collisions?  When I have an 8th note tied to another note, I get a big space between the 8th and the tied note.  I don't want that.  If I deselect avoid collisions of lyrics, then I get collisions everywhere else.  There doesn't seem to be an option to ignore the first note of a group of tied notes.  In fact, only the LAST note of a tied group should be recognized in regard to collisions. 

This is a generic problem for Finale's horizontal spacing algorithms generally. Every element is considered for its width only. If the right side of one item extends beyond the left side of the next item, Finale sees that as a collision, even if one is well above the other. So when you tell Finale to avoid lyric collisions, it leaves enough space so that the lyric syllable does not extend under the next note (or accidental, or whatever else).

It's definitely a flaw, but you can easily see why a horizontal spacing algorithm that takes into account vertical position as well would be a much more complicated problem.

My usual procedure with lyrics goes something like this:

1. Set all the lyrics about two sizes smaller than they're really going to appear.
2. Space the music with avoid lyric collisions set.
3. Work out the layout for the entire piece, and lock all the systems.
4. Respace the entire piece with avoid lyric collisions turned OFF.
5. Go back through the piece tweaking all the lyrics (at their correct size), nudging them for optimal look and tweaking the music spacing where necessary.

Frankly, I think that spacing the music with avoid lyric collisions is unacceptable. Even if there aren't collisions or gross spaces, it's still just an ugly look. I've seen plenty of pop music set this way and I think it looks like crap.

What you really need is to make the music spacing look as much as possible like it would if there were no lyrics, then nudge the lyrics around to fit that, adjusting the music only as much as necessary for the lyrics -- preferably by stretching the music uniformly in systems where the lyrics require more space, and nudging notes around only where necessary for unusually syllable combinations.

Steps 1 to 3 above is really just a shorthand way of setting the layout so that it provides enough space in each system, adding space approximately relative to the density of the lyrics in any given measure. (You definitely don't want to discover, during step 5, that you've got a system in which the lyrics don't fit.) I've got enough feel for it now that I can see at a glance how much space I'll need for a system with lyrics. Depending on the texture of the music, I might use a different method for steps 1 to 3.

mdl

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to