Jim,

Here is my personal answer.

On Nov 3, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Williams, Jim wrote:

Friends...
A while back someone posted about the "hidden corners" of Finale, which led me to pose a question about your forays into those areas. The responses were interesting and enlightening.

The recent posts about certain "features" lead me, then, to the following questions:

1. WHAT "ADD-ONS" DO YOU USE?
a.The Band-in-a-Box Harmonizer?
Never

b.The rhyming dictionary?
No, but maybe it might help someone sometimes.

c.The marching percussion?
No
d.The exercises/exercise wizard?
No
e.GPO?

Yes, and will use this more when the library of sounds that I need arrives (the Jazz Library). Finale performance problems can be minimized by turning off GPO until playback is needed, but I haven't been able to figure out how to hear what I am entering on my soundless midi keyboard unless GPO is on, so I am cornered here. (I use a fixed channel midi thru, so I hear only piano sounds when entering music. I tried smart midi thru, but found it distracting. Sometimes the entry window would be left in one instrument while I was playing things for another instrument - just playing sounds and thinking, and I'd have to switch the window to the correct instrument or to the piano staff. That got to be enough of a drag that I settled on fixed midi. What I can't figure out is how to get that piano sound out of the keyboard without having GPO on or switching back to smartsynth.)

f.Finale Performance Assessment?
Never
g.Scanning?
Tried it long ago - paid $300 for Smart Score. It sucked as far as I was concerned. Tom Johnson at MM promises me a free upgrade to the latest full version of Smart Score every year, when I see him at a convention, but it has yet to show up. I haven't bugged him about it because I think it will not work well enough to be practical for me anyway.
h.Creation of Smart Music accompaniments?
No, and I think there's some wrong thinking about an accompaniment that is led by a solo line. There is interaction in what I consider correct musical communication of rubatos and tempo changes. Good accompaniments don't "follow" a lead, they accompany it. I haven't tried this, but there are many ways I suspect it is a dumb tool, and maybe encourages poor performances by allowing an accompaniment to remain in synch with a stumbling solo.

i.Composer's Assistant?
No, but maybe it might have some use as a starting point for some development of an idea.

j.FinaleScript?
Tried it and found Automator in Tiger to work more easily for batch printing. I did have one Finale script that worked for a while - to change fonts, but it sopped working and seemed more trouble to re- build or repair than to do the necessary work by hand.

k.MIBAC Rhythm Section Generator?

You know, it's not terrible, and considering that it's a machine that's doing this stuff, it's kind of remarkable. But it's not good either, and I certainly don't need it. I am way too particular about what I want to hear to accept a generic version of an accompaniment.

l.Anything like these that I might have overlooked?

I don't use the shape designer, but I know it's useful/necessary to some and don't consider it a frill.

Hyperscribe - I can't see how it can work more reliably/faster overall than step time entry. Maybe highly skilled keyboard people can use this. I cannot.

2. How often do you use them?

GPO almost all the time now. I can hear things in my head, but it really does help me. Maybe I am admitting a shortcoming in my own internal music imagery, but I catch things with it simply because some things in dense textures become clearer when I listen to them with different timbres, even the timbres I don't want (clarinets or english horns for saxes, classical brass for jazz brass and no mutes, and an incredibly dumb sounding "classical" bass pizzicato for jazz bass. I am eagerly awaiting my copy of the Jazz band library. The sounds are ready. It's integration with Finale that is holding up the works.

3. Was any of them a "deal-maker" for your purchase of Finale?

No - how the music printed was the first reason for buying Finale version 1 and remains the reason I use it, though I have no reason to dislike the integration of GPO playback and disagree with those who think that it's the downfall of the music prep attributes of the program. It may be a distraction for some, but it helps me, and even if that exposes a fault in an ideal image of myself as a composer, it's a true description of my working method, and I accept it. I check things with it all the time. To make it perfectly clear: I believe I understand the difference between computer playback driven by notation software and real music and don't confuse the two. It's still a helpful step on the way to better communication through notation for me.

4. How do you rate the quality of those features you use or tried to use?

See above.

I'll start.
*I already owned GPO, so that point is moot.

Well, that is true of me, but Gary is a neighbor (on an island I see from my window), and I benefitted from that and the fact that I recorded jazz bass samples for him. Still, I'd have been glad to get the GPO "lite" that comes with 2006. It's such an improvement over what Andy Homzy calls "the little kazoo band" we used to have to hear, and it requires little fussing. What fussing it allows is pretty transparent in how it works.

*I tried the Auto-Harmonizer twice and was thoroughly underwhelmed-- not ready for prime-time.

Well, yeah. This really cannot work well for anyone who has heard good music. There are simply too many variables to program into a machine to fool me for a minute with this. I try to think about coming up with the formulas I learned through studying Bill Evans' harmony in a way that they could be applied to new material in a kind of foolproof mathematical way, but there are always enough "special circumstance" details that only the kind of application of the formulas along with a substantial does of intuitive experience works, and that's a long way down the road of "artificial intelligence" as far as I can understand. I know how to do it (that kind of harmony, I mean), but can't break it down simply enough that I think you could teach it to a machine in any useful way. Some things are better done by people, thank goodness. Harmony is one of them - even parallel line thickening.

*I tried scanning a couple things--worked ok for some simple stuff, but not otherwise worth the time or effort *I wanted to try some FinaleScript, but LAST I LOOKED (which was a while ago) it was a "teach yourself" project for which I simply lacked time. It's supposed to be a time saver, but I lacked the time to invest in mastering it. Is that different in 2006?

Haven't looked, but I doubt it.

Chuck

<winmail.dat>

Chuck Israels