dhbailey wrote:
dc wrote:
Andrew Stiller écrit:

But these are not eggcorns. An eggcorn requires the substitution for one legitimate word for another, with the substitution actually making some kind of sense. For example, I've encountered rottweiler-->Rockwell, which I find hilarious, and just today a nationally-syndicated advice column had "visa-versa."

I disagree. Algorhythm for algorithm is very precisely an "eggcorn" from what I read, since, with the (legitimate) word "rhythm" (instead of rithm), it follows exactly the "eggcorn" pattern, with "egg" instead of "a". And, just as eggcorn can seem to have some meaning, algorhythm could also be some kind of "rhythm". Which it is not.

--Anyway, though, my "collection" is restricted to eggcorns unintentionally perpetrated in postings to *this list.*

This was the case. I borrowed it from a very recent message to this list (on spacing questions). So I humbly request you to come back on your decision and include it in your collection.

My favorite musical eggcorn was actually heard on the French radio: "Tabasse ta mère" (literally, "give your mother a beating") for "Stabat mater".

Is that really an eggcorn? Isn't that more of a malapropism? Or an example of that other misuse of language which is named for an English professor whose name escapes me at the moment?

Spoonerism is the term I was looking for! That French example is a spoonerism, not an eggcorn.

--
David H. Bailey