On Jun 20, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Rob Deemer wrote:

The request for new topics plus the fact that there's a Mythbusters marathon going on got me thinking about confirming or busting a notation myth. I've heard many composers state that composing/arranging on paper with pencil is not only preferable but artistically "better" than composing directly into a
computer notation application.

Pencil is more "artistic" for me because I can use a pencil without thinking to put any kind of mark I like anywhere I like on the paper. I have to think too much in Finale about the process of using the computer, which uses up valuable brain CPU cycles that are better spent on the music. I use Finale only once I know pretty much what I am doing, which generally means a pencil sketch exists. It might be sketchy, it might have huge passages that are incomprehensible to anyone but me, but it doesn't matter because I am the only one who has to understand it.

I tried composing directly in Finale once, thinking to save time, but I discovered it took longer this way, and also when Finale was going smoothly I had the impression I was writing good music, which turned out not the be the case.

Some of my students, however, jump right in and use the computer without thinking, as easily as I use a pencil. Their "id" and "ego" are so cooperative compared with mine that I bow down in humble awe.

Christopher



_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to