I think that Beethoven and Mozart would have used Finale if it were available back in their day.

This is definitely a generational issue. When I started using Finale in 1991 there was still a whole generation of composers out there who never used a computer for anything, and saw no point in adopting the new technology. Most of them are dead now.

My generation, the boomers, mostly use Finale as an engraving tool--that is, we compose on paper (using piano to test chords, counterpoint etc.), then when everything is done, use Finale to make the fair copy and extract the parts.

I realize that the vast majority of younger composers work directly in Finale, but I confess I cannot even conceive how that could be done smoothly, since I, at least, would find myself constantly distracted by engraving issues (supressing cautionary this'n'that between movements, frinstance) that have no bearing on the act of composition itself.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/