On Jun 22, 2007, at 10:05 AM, John Howell wrote:

At 3:14 PM -0400 6/21/07, Christopher Smith wrote:

Oh yeah! That's for sure! I can't tell you how many young writers think that strings can only play mid-range whole notes, because that's what their synth string patches sound good playing.

Or that brass can only play short stabs, in the highest octave, and are incapable of playing lyrically (well, some players ARE like that!)

Or that a snare drum can't get any kind of sound other than a heavy rim shot.

Well, just to overemphasize the obvious, you can't orchestrate intelligently until you understand the instruments individually and in combination--REALLY understand them! And you won't understand them by playing with MIDI substitutes.

Absolutely! If not playing each and every one, at least early and long exposure to playing in ensembles that include the instruments for which you are writing.

I am working on an interactive jazz arranging book/DVD - whatever it's going to turn out to be - for Gary Garritan. I am convinced that this technology provides a useful sketch tool for composer arrangers who don't have musicians available, but it only serves as a severely limited interim sketch tool.

I wish I were better equipped to describe the differences between midi instrument playback (at the mundane level of notation software playback) and living musicians. It might be a useful descriptive skill to include in the book.

Chuck


Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836
phone (360) 671-3402
fax (360) 676-6055
www.chuckisraels.com

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to