On Aug 22, 2007, at 12:53 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Chris -

I assume you tried to export WITHOUT including fonts?

Yes, same results.

Although not embedding fonts is what caused me to have to redo all my handouts to start with (well, that and I have changed how I think). On my new computer I don't have one font that I used extensively in the original EPS. I have a replacement, but it doesn't have the exact same name according to my computer, so all my arrows (and I have a LOT of them!) get changed into big fat Arial letter B and & the like when I try to reprint using the original EPSs. I tell ya, I was THIS close to pulling out the tape and scissors!

The Mac EPS export in previous versions of Finale, although it SAID it was embedding fonts, wasn't really doing it, so I couldn't even email myself a file at school unless I had all the same fonts on my school computer. They claim in the official poop that font embedding really works now, but it still doesn't exactly. Wait a sec, here is the exact phrase!

QUOTE
Embedded Fonts in Mac EPS files — Finale embeds TrueType and OpenType fonts as well as Postscript fonts. This ensures that your files look and print the same for others as they do for you. (available with Macintosh OS 10.4 and higher)
END QUOTE

Well, aren't they clever! Everyone ELSE says that TrueType fonts won't work in EPS files, but apparently MM worked it out. However...

Not everything gets included, for example, not rotated text in Smart Lines, as far as I can tell. Also shapes that are rotated don't get included, either. And the warning dialogue box is empty, so not only do those items not get included, but the resultant files actually don't function.

here is another quote–from the Mac help file. None of this applies to Macs! (except possibly for the part about needing a PostScript printer. I don't really know, as all my printers are PostScript.)

QUOTE
Special instructions for printing from Finale with imported EPS files
You must have a PostScript capable printer. Check your printer manual for details. The printer driver must be set to Optimize for Portability. Exit Finale. Click Start, Settings, Printers. Right-click on your printer driver and select Properties. Select the PostScript tab and set the “PostScript output format” to “Optimize for Portability” ADSC. Click Apply, then OK. The line “OwnPS=0” must be added to the Finale.ini file. Exit Finale. Open the Finale.ini file in the Finale 2004 folder with Notepad. In the [Settings] section, add the following line, without quotes, “OwnPS=0”. Save and exit Notepad.
END QUOTE

Man, I've been complaining a lot! Funny how that wears you down...

Thanks to everyone for letting me rant on without yelling back at me. Helpful comments, like John's, are of course welcome.

Christopher




_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to