Hey Chuck,

I would not feel embarrassed at all. IMO, there is no excuse for software this confusing. Tom and Gary unfortunately seem to feel that if people can figure it out *eventually*, there is no reason to make things transparent from the get-go. Obviously you and I disagree, and if you can use your leverage to draw attention to the serious shortcomings in the user interface, so much the better.

As to your specific questions -- my understanding is that the old AU Setup listing is there to (theoretically, at least) preserve compatibility of older files. Finale 2006 cannot use the Kontakt 2 player, so any files configured for GPO playback in Finale 2006 will need to use the older library.

In practice, though, since the Garritan installer replaces the Kontakt 1 libraries, this doesn't work. After applying the Kontakt 2 Player update, any Fin2006 files you may have will need to be opened in Fin2007 or Fin2008 and re-configured manually for Garritan playback. Needless to say, this is a bit of a pain.

That said, my behavior doesn't match yours. When I open Finale 2006 and go to the Native Instruments AU Setup dialog box, nothing shows up. In Fin2007-2008, my only choice is KontaktPlayer2.

I don't know what accounts for this difference, but perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. Why don't you try opening a Fin2006 document configured for GPO playback and see if it still works?

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY



On 28 Aug 2007, at 5:34 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

Anybody remember this thread? Dumb me - it's always the same kind of thing. What was in one place gets moved to a new place when you do an update/upgrade, and then I can't find it and think things are broken that aren't! So - to explain, and to help other obtuse folks like me: after updating to the new Kontakt 2 player, you will find a new listing in the Audio Units Setup menu called "Kontakt 2 Player" and that is where the new samples are accessed. Attempting to load samples from the old JABB or GPO places will result in the error message I described earlier.

Why don't the old listings disappear with the update? Can I get rid of them? I can't use them anymore, and they are simply clutter. If I had designed this, I'd have had the new selection drop down menu take the place of the old instead of just appearing below them, where it took me weeks to look. Bad design makes me feel stupid when I don't see something and don't think to look beyond where it used to be.

Of course, I only just discovered this after leaving phone messages for Gary and Tom Hopkins for which I am now embarrassed.

Chuck


Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836
phone (360) 671-3402
fax (360) 676-6055
www.chuckisraels.com

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to