On 9/3/07, John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Which is a pretty wild leap of faith in my book. > By the same logic one would have to assume a > priori that he provided his violinists with > written parts meant for use by a single performer > only, so he only used one violin on each part, > and that is certainly not in agreement with his > own description of his "ideal" forces. (From the > 1731 Town Council memo, I think, but I'm not > sure.)
I've read Andrew Parrott's book, and from the way I understand it, there should be hundreds of parts floating around in libraries, but that's just not the case! I don't know how true it is, but I've heard John Eliot Gardiner even had some of the manuscript parts that survived examined for fingerprints or any signs of being used extensively, shockingly-- the parts show hardly any sign of use. If anyone knows more about this, could you post links please? I'd be most appreciative. Thanks much! Kim _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
