On 5 Sep 2007 at 19:52, Ken Moore wrote: > "David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > It's the dogmatic limitation that has always annoyed the hell out of > > me, not the assertion that the pieces were performed one on a part > > in their original performances. > > What dogmatic limitation?
Rifkin's. Perhaps my whole opinion on this is colored by the fact that I first encountered the whole thing in an oral paper delivered by Rifkin in 1985, just about the time he was first publishing. I've watched his ideas develop over the years, but there has always been a degree of righteous indignation in the tone with which he makes his arguments. Now, it could be that his opponents are just as self-righteous, but I haven't encountered them in person, so have no way to know. But the attitude that I've seen Rifkin exhibit is very much what Taruskin was reacting against in his screeds against the concept of authenticity in the early music movement. > >> Actually the onus is on providing proof that 12-20 member > >> choirs were the norm in early 18th century Germany. > > > That's a ridiculous straw man -- it's not even close to what anyone > > is suggesting in this discussion. > > It's pretty close to what Koopman has been suggesting for the last 20 years. And who has been promoting Koopman's ideas in the present discussion? -- David W. Fenton http://dfenton.com David Fenton Associates http://dfenton.com/DFA/ _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
