On 5 Sep 2007 at 20:22, Ken Moore wrote:

> "David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote: > we were just 
> trying to get the music performed > with the forces we had.
> 
> > Yet, the mere suggestion that Bach was doing the
> > same thing seems to be treated as heresy by those
> > devoted to the crusade.
> 
> Well, we've been brought up on the idea that he wrote (or rewrote)
> music for the forces he expected to have next Sunday, and with
>  sufficient respect for his ability that we would have expected him
>  to write something different for larger ones.

I've heard that argument before, and I just don't think it means 
much. How can we know?

Secondly, there's so much incredible variety within Bach's music 
itself, that I can't conclude that some of it would *not* benefit 
from larger forces, rather than performing it all with the same 
forces. I'm not making an affirmative argument here -- I'm just 
saying that there's so much complex music to look at and no really 
objective way to evaluate this kind of thing that I believe that such 
an argument becomes meaningless.

-- 
David W. Fenton                    http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates       http://dfenton.com/DFA/


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to