On 5 Sep 2007 at 11:46, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

> I'll just stick to my desire to hear the music performed in the forces
> it was played with and with historically informed techniques. I'll let
> others have the other fun parts of that time, but definitely NOT for
> me

While I'm all for that, there is a major philosophical problem when 
it comes to the issue of us not being authentic listeners. We simply 
can't hear the music the same as they did, even when we replicate the 
forces of performance as closely as possible. Every performance of 
old music is metaphorically a transcription, I think, and this is 
something we should keep in mind when evaluating historical 
practices.

That is not to say that I don't want to hear the music with 
historical instruments and using historically-informed practices, 
it's just that I know we can never get the same meaning, however 
closely we may try to replicate the mere sounds.

-- 
David W. Fenton                    http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates       http://dfenton.com/DFA/


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to